By using these forums you are agreeing to follow our Forum Rules. The NoFollow tag is enabled. Trolling will not be tolerated.

Welcome Guest Search | Active Topics |

Calorie Counter Page Broken
centec2b
#1 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 10:29:15 AM

Groups: Registered

Hi I am running Firefox 3.6.2 under Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic with Java fully enabled

The system is up to date in respect of patches etc & my system is fine in all other respects

I am getting a peculiarity when is try to use the Calorie Counter Pages in that the information has "dropped" down the page and is partly obscured by Google Ads.

I have screen dumps available

Other than that the site seems to function ok

Any guidance on how to solve this would be appreciated as it is a crucial page

Thank you

centec2b
Sponsor  

matthew
#2 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 12:28:22 PM

Groups: Admin, Administrators, ModeratorCalorie, Registered

Yikes, I did not know FF 3.6.2 was out.

Its probally a CSS issue with FF. I am currently using FF 3.5.9 and all is well.
I am updating to the latest version now and will continue to monitor this.

In the mean time, you could always try another browser, IE or Opera.

UPDATE

I have upgraded to FF 3.6.3, tested and cannot replicate this problem.

Do you have JavaScript enabled?

Could you try a different browser? If it still does not work in another browser it could be something with Ubuntu (very strange).

Ill keep investigating.

Thank you for reporting this bug!
centec2b
#3 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 1:25:19 PM

Hi rohrmr

Thank you for that

Strange I have just tried under windows using ff3.6.3 - everything A ok - page loads normal... however I keep getting the site stating a server error and breaking the page I am on (ie trying to reply to you on this board) I will have a look at Ubuntus message logs - hmmmmm

It is still falling over in the ubuntu machine

Do you want me to pm the screen dumps?

Sincerely

centec2b
centec2b
#4 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 1:27:32 PM

Sorry to try and avoid confusion - it is citing server error on windows and ubuntu machines....
matthew
#5 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 4:32:36 PM

Thanks you for your patience and staying with me on this.

The server errors were my fault as I was trying something new with viewstates, which did not work. If you got it to work under windows, then it could be an ubuntu thing.

I have been running back and forth all day between here and the hospital, soon as I can get home I will pick this back up.

Dont worry about the screen dumps, if Ill try to get on a computer at the local university that is running ubuntu to further investigate this issue.

Again, thank you so much for your feed back and patience

centec2b
#6 Posted : Friday, April 02, 2010 4:58:27 PM

on the contrary...

thank You & respect for a really good web site - its by far the best I have seen around

I will post in the suggestion folder but question please - under the "Add Food" have you envisaged/thought about the user being able to generate their own "complete meals"? I have seen this elsewhere and it really does speed up input, if you have a rota of meals

Sincerely

centec2b

centec2b
#7 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2010 3:36:00 PM

rohrmr

I have just realised the "page error" is the same as when the Statistics and Data section is extended downwards - ie when you invoke the arrow button to see more statistics

centec2b
matthew
#8 Posted : Saturday, April 03, 2010 4:00:27 PM

centec2b wrote:
rohrmr

I have just realised the "page error" is the same as when the Statistics and Data section is extended downwards - ie when you invoke the arrow button to see more statistics

centec2b

This could be a security setting issue. I was testing this site out on a Windows 2008 server operating system and noticed even with JavaScript enabled, the security settings of the OP were not allowing JavaScript to function properly.

Even some CSS items were behaving irregular.

50% of my time as a developer is almost always dealing with cross browser/OP issues. This one is no different ; (.

I will dive into the code and see if I can't produce a default behavior for such controls in an instance like yours.
centec2b
#9 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 6:01:12 AM

Morning rohrmr, all

This issue with the detail dropping down and behind the ads has proliferated across to my windows machines.

I am using XP with the latest patches and FF 3.6.3 and yesterday prior to your server transfer I was on the site. Ffox reported that the java toolkit was potentially causing a stability issue and did I want to disable it? As this was the first occurrence I said no and made a mental note to review. When I next went into the site the page detail had dropped as per previous

But

I did then load a number of alternative browsers in xp and ubuntu and they were exactly the same ie the detail had already dropped

I have looked up this java issue and there is a lot of smoke and mirrors about it, but as far as I can tell the latest java release is ok. I have therefore installed that but the result is the same

No earth shattering news I am afraid but I hope it closes a few doors

Kinda messes up the data input so if you get a chance to do something - brilliant - if I can help in any way let me know

Sincerely

Centec2b
matthew
#10 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 10:48:51 AM

Yikes, I am soo sorry you are having those problems.

First of all, you should not have to disabled anything! I built this site so that you would not have to download any 'packages'. Most of this site is reliant on JavaScript and that does need to be enabled.

You keep saying Java, and I just want to make sure there is no confusion with JavaScript. Java, is a server programming language, while JavaScript is a client side scripting language. (if you are using ubuntu, I am sure you allready know the difference) With that said, I used NO Java in my programming. But this site is very heavy on JavaScript.

Have you noticed things like this happening with any other web sites?

I am going to be up at the University today and will see if I can not replicate this problem on the machines there.

If you had time, you could go to Easy-A.com. This is my other site which is not totally finished, but I used all the same technology on that site as I did on this one. Take a poke around and see if the pages look funny. The home page has alot of the same tech as the Calorie Counter page here, more to the point, the search boxes.

Thanks!
matthew
#11 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:32:52 AM

Cent,

If you have the time could you Post or PM a screen shot of your Calorie Counter page?

Just in case I cannot replicate this problem, this will help give me a better understanding of whats going on.
centec2b
#12 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 11:52:55 AM

rohrmr

screenshots pm to you

I have had a look round the new site (nice - clean and crisp look and feel) - perfectly ok - in fact the only site that has any problem is calorie counter - weird.....

You make a very good point regarding java script and java. Apologies I was being lazy. I have rechecked Javascript is enabled and also have installed the latest update version 20 - nada!

One point to mention the only page that has this issue is the calorie counting page - all the rest are fine. Also it does on opening very briefly position itself correctly and then if you are quick you can see it go down the page

Centec
matthew
#13 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:08:54 PM

Good Info, thank you for those screen shots.

It looks like a CSS issue. Have you tried clearing your browser cache?

You said this only happens on the Calorie Counter page, does it happen on the Exercise Tracker page?

I have a few other ideas, but I will not be able to try them until I get home tonight and test them on my development machine.

Again, thank you for your patience in this. I am sure you are not the only one seeing these issues.
centec2b
#14 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 12:35:55 PM

rohrmr

cache checked and cleared on both o/s systems - no difference

exercise tracker page a ok - this only happens on the calorie count page

centec
matthew
#15 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:07:50 PM

Ok, try it now ; ).

If something is still messing up, let me know.

centec2b
#16 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 3:55:04 PM

rohrmr

RESULT!!!

well done - respect!

centec

ps was it css?
matthew
#17 Posted : Tuesday, April 20, 2010 4:19:12 PM

Great!!

Thank you for sticking through this.

It was a CSS problem. I am still not sure why your machine was affected, it could have been an Operator System issue. I noticed that your DDL for the Misc Addition was graphically different from mine, even using FF. Maybe a FF addon css confict? I am not sure.

I ended up putting a table around the affected divs. Not the most elegant solution, just a temp bandaid untill I can rebuild those pages.

Very happy this worked. Let me know if you have any more problems.